This Week in AG History -- Sept. 15, 1945
Don't miss any stories. Follow AG News!
Oren and his wife, Florence, graduated from Central Bible Institute in 1941 and had been in Nicaragua for three years. They had committed themselves fully to spreading the gospel. Oren was known for his powerful prayers and his musical abilities. He taught at the Bible school in Leon, Nicaragua, and often spent both days and nights interceding for revival.
Oren's name, appropriately enough, was the imperative form of the Spanish verb meaning "to pray." When he rode on muleback into rural areas in Nicaragua, people would ask, "What is your name?" He would respond, "Oren." Because "oren" was a command in Spanish to pray, the inquirers would go away and start praying. After a while, they would come back and ask his name again, only to receive the same answer.
Oren lived up to his name. He regularly prayed until he was exhausted. His body weakened due to his strenuous ministry schedule and lack of sleep.
While ministering in a remote location in March 1945, Oren was stricken with typhoid. He died five months later, but not before he made a significant impact on the Assemblies of God in Nicaragua.
Oren's passion for missions overflowed onto the pages of the letters he sent from Nicaragua. In one of his letters he wrote the following:
"The challenge of untouched regions is indeed great. God grant us in reality the purpose and power that motivated the apostle Paul. It is not in the great numbers of missionaries that the evangelism of the world lies, but in the intense glow with which the firebrands burn."
Oren Munger was one of God's firebrands.
Read the tributes to Oren Munger on page 11 of the Sept. 15, 1945, issue of the Pentecostal Evangel.
Also featured in this issue:
• "Our Pastors in Uniform: Assemblies of God Chaplains," by Harry A. Jaeger
• "Things Which Make Revivals Possible," by Arthur H. Graves
• "Touching Our Lord Jesus," by W.W. Simpson
And many more!
Click here to read this issue now.
Pentecostal Evangel archived editions courtesy of the Flower Pentecostal Heritage Center.